Manager, Financial Affairs (University Bookstore)
Manager, Financial Affairs (University Bookstore)
Requisition Number S1650P
Located in the heart of our beautiful campus, the Auburn University Bookstore is a university-operated full-service college store dedicated to serving the entire Auburn family including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and fans. The Bookstore provides supports a successful student experience, fosters the AU Spirit, and returns 100% of our profits back to the University! Learn more at https://www.aubookstore.com/
Financial Affairs Manager
The Bookstore is excited to begin the search for the next Financial Affairs Manager. Reporting to the Bookstore Director, this position provides accounting, financial, and administrative support for the Auburn University Bookstore. This position is critical to the Bookstore team and manages the financial operations, personnel, and workflow in the Bookstore business office. This position also ensures financial practices are in compliance with state laws and university policies and guidelines, as well as assists with the financial tracking of merchandise for resale from receipt through payment.
This role could be a great fit for candidates with previous retail management/accounting experience or those with business/finance experience open to navigating the challenges of a retail operation.
Why should YOU consider a career with the Auburn University Bookstore?
- Competitive employee benefits + state retirement plan.
- A team-oriented, positive work environment.
- Tuition assistance for you and your dependents after a year of service.
- Generous leave policies (including paid parental leave!)
- Employee discount (and first dibs) on the newest Auburn gear.
- The satisfaction of knowing YOU are a part of providing the premier academic experience at Auburn, as well as the life-changing work our students perform.
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
About Auburn University: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
- Oversees and supervises financial operations including: accounting, accounts payable, accounts
receivable, contract billing, daily deposits, monthly recap preparation, invoicing, payroll, and general office duties. Performs financial month-end procedures in the point of sales system.
- Reviews, investigates and corrects errors in financial entries, documents and reports, within the Bookstore ERP system and Banner. Audits and corrects inventory errors. Provides reporting and assists with internal and financial audits of documentation and procedures. Ensures and maintains proper documentation of transactions. Determines proper handling of financial transactions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and approves within designated limits, policies or contracts.
- Reviews and approves vender vouchers, invoices, purchase requisitions, collection reports, journal voucher or other transactions in compliance with approved budgets and University/department procedures.
- Prepares or coordinates the preparation of contract billing charges, All Access e-bill spreadsheets and transactions. Balances e-bill receivables.
- Advises employees on policies and procedures concerning operational issues related to business and financial operations, and inventory control. Serves as point of contact for financial matters within the Bookstore to other departments on campus.
- Assists with preparation of budget reports, department allocation reports, and inventory reports or other specialized reports or analysis on a regular or ad hoc basis. (Management One Reports; ICSR Reports; NACS Financial Survey Reports – all use financial and inventory data out of point of sales system).
- Formally supervises administrative support and financial/budget staff to provide consistent and organized business and operational support to internal and external customers. Oversees daily tasks of staff as well as hiring, scheduling, assigning, training, coaching; and performance management.
- Performs store opening and closing supervisory duties. Ensures the office operates professionally and provides exceptional service to Bookstore employees, visitors and guests.
- May perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Full supervisory responsibility for other employees is a major responsibility and includes training, evaluating, and making or recommending pay, promotion or other employment decisions.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Management Information Systems, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Business or related field.
- a degree in any other field of study PLUS 4 years of experience in retail management or retail accounting.
- 4 years of Experience
- Experience in business, financial analysis, and budgeting or retail management/retail accounting.
- If the candidate does not have a degree in the specified field of study listed above, experience in retail management or retail accounting can be substituted for any degree.
- Indicated experience is required; no substitutions allowed.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, retail accounting, cost accounting, and/or inventory management. Knowledge of AU administrative and financial policies and procedures (can be learned on the job); knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services; knowledge of administrative, financial, and clerical procedures and systems.
- Proficiency in the use of office software applications including Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
Salary Range: $40,000 - $65,500
Link for Internal posting https://www.auemployment.com/postings/29424
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.