Computer Desktop Support Specialist (2 positions)
Computer Desktop Support Specialist (2 positions)
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,900 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for a Computer Desktop Support Specialist. The successful candidate works directly with campus customers to support, diagnose, and resolve incidents and service requests related to all types of desktop and mobile devices, peripherals, AV technology, and telephones. A variety of online and physical tools are used to resolve incidents across all three campuses in a variety of locations, including offices, conference and classrooms, research labs, and athletic venues.
The Computer Desktop Support Specialist serves as the initial responder on behalf of many ITS services. As the eyes and ears of the organization, she/he/they may be the first to identify when customers need assistance, troubleshooting, or problem-solving with various applications and platforms. The Computer Desktop Support Specialist responds to a wide variety of requests. Providing an initial response and feedback for each situation plays a critical role in addressing requests and incidents in an efficient, effective manner.
This position reports to the Manager of the Field Support Group. The successful candidate has excellent customer service and communication skills, the ability to work effectively under pressure and with technology constraints, and the knowledge to work with a variety of hardware, tools, and applications. She/He/They have a varied work schedule, are available to support athletic and other events outside of traditional business hours, and able to work independently and as a member of a team.
Initial Response to provide support to desktops and mobile devices and a wide range of ITS services:
- Set up and configure university-supported hardware, operating systems, and applications to maintain desktops and mobile devices, peripherals, AV technology (including cabling, wiring, terminations, networking, and programming), and telephones.
- Diagnose and resolve operating system, application, and connectivity problems for desktops and mobile devices, peripherals, AV technology, and telephones.
- Perform hardware lifecycle and maintenance service activities for supported offices, classrooms, conference rooms, and telephones.
- Assist with software and applications maintenance, upgrades, and installations when necessary.
- Assist with, diagnose and resolve incidents and service requests in faculty/staff offices, classrooms, conference rooms, research labs, and other areas located across three campuses using a variety of modes of support (including conferencing tools, in person, or both).
- Provide excellent, timely, and effective customer service.
- Support the user experience by identifying common issues and providing feedback to the service manager on where the user experience could be changed or improved.
- Provide on-site primary support for designated Athletics and other University events outside normal business hours, including evenings and weekends.
Service and work management:
- Contribute to the creation/updating of customer and internal documentation and pertinent workflows.
- Utilize the appropriate tools and apply established best practices to manage day-to-day operations, service activities, and projects.
- Contribute to continuous process and work management improvement by recommending new best practices, efficiencies or changed workflows.
- Ensure established Operating Level Agreements (OLAs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are followed consistently.
- Actively participate, as needed, in ITS projects
Work schedule will vary depending on scheduled events and service needs at the three campus locations and designated athletics events.
This is an on-site position and is not eligible for remote work.
- A Bachelor's degree at time of hire from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education (DOE) or internationally recognized accrediting organization or an Associate degree and two years of full-time experience supporting, installing, configuring, and troubleshooting IT equipment.
- Working knowledge of common desktop and mobile devices, operating systems (Windows, Macintosh), productivity applications software (i.e., Microsoft Office), and conferencing tools such as Zoom or Teams.
- The ability to work with customers with varying levels of computer expertise from beginner to advanced users.
- Strong writing and documentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, to manage multiple priorities and tasks, and to work independently and within a team structure.
- Applicants must clearly address their ability to work with a culturally diverse population in their application or interview.
- One+ year working with remote tools related to endpoint management systems like MECM and/or JAMF.
- Experience with wiring audio-visual presentation systems.
- Experience formulating programming code for Crestron and Extron (or similar) control systems.
- Demonstrated experience with basic networking connectivity (wired and wireless) and in basic network repairs (i.e., cable terminations, jack repair, etc.).
- Experience in support and installations of lecture capture and videoconferencing solutions (i.e., Cisco, Tandberg), web-conferencing applications (i.e., Zoom in classroom and conference room settings), and related methods used for communication and collaboration.
- Dell certification.
- Experience working in a college or university IT unit.
This is a promotional opportunity for current UAlbany employees.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Lead Programmer/Analyst, SL-3; $60,000-65,000
** Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide their current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=151943
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your UAlbany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications: until position is filled.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER